Info & Regulations
Arrival at MaRHE Center
Upon arrival to Magoodhoo island, after a short welcoming event, guests will be conducted to their bedrooms. In compliance with the local customs, male and female students will not be allowed to share bedrooms, while male and female professors may share bedrooms to the extent they are relatives.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served in a dedicated area within the MaRHE Center. Meals are prepared by women living on Magoodhoo Island.
Breakfast will be served between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and it will include tea, American coffee, dried milk, toasts, jam and hot chocolate. Coffee break will be available in the morning and in the afternoon.
Lunch and dinner will be prepared by the local people and served at the hour to be agreed upon, after your arrival on Magoodhoo.
Local rules and customs
It is strictly prohibited to walk around the island by wearing only a bathing suit. All participants, males and females, must always wear a T-shirt and shorts. While swimming, a T-shirt must be worn.
Nobody is allowed to leave MaRHE Center between midnight and 6:00 a.m. without prior authorization.
It is prohibited to collect any corals, shells, plants, animals or part of them and beach sand.
IMPORTANT: it is strictly forbidden to bring on the island any type of alcoholic beverages and drugs and their consummation. Be advised that any violation of this rule could be sanctioned by the local public Authorities. In such event, University of Milano-Bicocca reserves the right to take any appropriate measures.
Activities and local contacts at MaRHE Center
A detailed plan of the scientific activities and researches to be carried out during your stay at MaRHE Center shall be submitted to the attention of Professor Paolo Galli at UNIMIB within 10 (ten) days prior to your arrival.
Professors and/or students are not allowed to start any direct collaboration nor to take any formal contact with local people unless previously agreed with UNIMIB’s representatives present in Magoodhoo.
Any activity not previously agreed in writing with UNIMIB shall not be allowed during the stay at MaRHE Center.
MaRHE Center will provide supervisors with all the services and facilities necessary for diving activities. No more than 2 (two) dives per day are allowed and the relevant dives’ sites shall be previously agreed with UNIMIB representatives, who have the right to authorize each dive according to the actual participants’ skills and weather conditions, it being, therefore, understood that the final decision on each dive rests with MaRHE Center staff.
The supervisors shall be responsible for the use and maintenance of the diving gears as provided by our staff until they are back to MaRHE Center.
- Each party to the present agreement is liable for its own negligent acts;
- Neither party shall be liable to the extent that damage or injury caused by the negligence of the other party;
- Neither party excludes or limits its liability for negligence resulting in personal injury or death;
- Each party will use all reasonable endeavors to make the students aware of emergency procedures and emergency contact numbers;
- The University of Milano Bicocca and the University of York have and maintain an insurance with a reputable insurance company in the amount of € 6m and in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations to cover:
- its negligent acts (and the acts of its employees, agents, and subcontractors); and
- liability for damages or injuries resulting from the state of its premises and equipment.